I’ve been working on the redesign for the site (which includes both backend and frontend), and I’ve finished off the first stage. A quick rundown of some changes:
- All of the major stuff (news, database, articles, feeds) and the additional sections (links, forums, blog) are still intact. The events/birthdays calendar is also working.
- Rankings and releases are gone for now, until I can build in more automation into those sections.
- Search now works (or at least, much more than before). It functions in boolean mode, so typing in something like Yuko Takeuchi will match either Yuko or Takeuchi. If you want to match both, put + signs in front of both words, or you can put quotes around it.
- The front page now summarizes the news, articles, links, blog, and forums. The old version had just news stories - if you prefer that, you can jump straight to http://www.tokyograph.com/news/ though I’m considering the option of making the front page customizable.
- Color scheme is obviously different. For those that prefer the old color scheme (or something else), I’m hoping to make multiple skins for more customizability.
- The articles are now listed under the “articles” subdirectory rather than the “features” subdirectory. From now on, articles will only be found under the new folder, but for the sake of keeping the old links live, articles written before now can still be found at their old urls.
- Some searches are now limited where they weren’t before. For some of these, I’ll be adding AJAX controls to let you navigate multiple pages of results.
I’m sure there are still some bugs to work out - let me know if you spot anything wrong. And I know this doesn’t look exactly the same in IE, but hopefully it’s close enough (it should be in at least IE7, not sure about previous versions). Safari and Opera should also be rendering it fine, though I can’t be certain.
Anyway, I hope you all like the changes! Give me some feedback and suggestions, too. I’ll be slowly rolling out new features from here on out, but I may need to take a small break first! On that note, I may be gone for part of this weekend, so expect the possibility of no news updates this Sunday.